Thursday, January 15, 2009

Time out for sports, time in for music

It isn't all sports here at Under the Seats. We've been known to talk politics, television, some culture.
And some music.
The other night, I heard the pep band at Rocky Mountain High School play "Jump in the Line," a calypso dance tune by Harry Belafonte from the 1950s. They did a wonderful job with their rendition. And for veterans of prep sporting events, it was a treat to hear something else besides, "Nah nah, hey hey," "Tequila" and "Rock and Roll Part 2" by Gary Glitter.
Among the many things my parents taught my brothers and I was an appreciation for all sorts of music. I thoroughly enjoy listening to Harry Belafonte sing just about anything, especially calypso tunes.
More importantly, I hope those kids in the band continue their study of music and learn for themselves that music in any form is a lifelong joy.
Thanks Mom and Dad. There's at least one lesson that didn't fall on deaf ears.

No comments: