Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Return to Rockies of 2007?

Before we start talking about a run to the World Series for the Rockies – and as magical as the Rockies run to the World Series two years ago was – let's remind ourselves of a few things.
Two years ago, the Rockies caught fire at the right time. Winning 20 of 21 in September and October is astounding, yes. But the Rockies – like everyone else in their division – were bad up until then.
The Rockies lost Matt Holliday to impending free agency. Brian Fuentes is working for the L.A. Angels of Anaheim/Azusa and Cucamonga. Todd Helton cannot be counted on to hit 40 home runs. It would be great if he could be counted on at all. After all, he had back surgery during the offseason.
Those are some pretty good-sized holes to fill for a team that wasn't very good a year ago.
Playoffs? Would be great. World Series? Not likely.

1 comment:

Kevin Denke said...

One of the hardest things I've had to as a longtime, albeit sometimes fair-weather, Rockies fan is admit that the 2007 run was a wonderful, magical fluke. I'll cherish those memories like the Rockies clinching the pennant on my birthday. I honestly don't think I will ever see the Rockies make the playoffs again in my lifetime. I don't know if they will ever win 90 games. I'm just going to lock myself in 2007 and just keep watching those highlights over again so I don't have to admit the sad, Cubbish truth.